What is StreetSmartsTO?
StreetSmartsTO is an initiative to help support Toronto’s growing community of people that cycle. Knowledge is a key aspect in being happy, healthy, and safe when you’re riding a bike, whether it’s on a trail or on the road. StreetSmartsTO is helping people by increasing their awareness of what’s expected of them and others, while giving them the skills they need to move forward on two (or three or four) wheels.
Workshops and Pop-ups
Upcoming Events and Workshops
Request a Workshop or Pop-up
No matter the time of the year, we’ve always got something on the go.
We're constantly adding more StreetSmartsTO programming and you can request one near you.
|Check out what's coming up||Request a workshop or pop-up|
There are a variety of workshops available through StreetSmartsTO. Currently, due to public health concerns all activities are online. However, as in-person restrictions are lifted, in-person workshops and neighbourhood pop-ups will be offered following guidelines and recommendations issued by Ontario and Toronto Public Health units.
- Basic Bike Maintenance: The things every rider should know to keep your bike going and save you money and frustration in the long term.
- Biking in All Weather Conditions: Get prepared to keep riding through wet, the wet, cold, icy, and snowy conditions Toronto experiences every year.
- Going by Bike: We’ll walk you through how you can do everything from commuting to work, picking up your kids and even do a grocery run by bike.
- Family Biking: Guides participants through things like biking while pregnant, biking with young kids and teaching children to ride on their own for the first time.
- Road Rules: Learn about your rights and responsibilities when interacting with others on the road in this interactive quiz-style workshop.
- Route Planning: We'll walk you through different types of bikeways, travelling by transit, and more. Followed by assistance planning personalized routes.
- Safe Cycling 101: Everything you need to know to bike with confidence in the city. Includes: equipment and bike fit, safe riding techniques, rules & responsibilities, choosing your route, & more.
Get Started Online
We have a growing variety of materials available online for you to take your bike riding game up a notch. Below is a selection of our most popular articles, and we've got loads more cycling resources available.
Plan Your Bike Route
Shopping by Bike
Road Rules Videos
Winter Riding Tips
Toronto Cycling Handbook & Family Edition
The Toronto Cycling Handbook has all the basics you need to know to get riding in 14 different languages. It covers everything from safety tips and equipment to the law to how to lock your bike up to prevent it from being stolen.
The Family Edition of the Toronto Cycling Handbook covers everything you need to know about riding with your family from pregnancy until your toddlers become teens.
There are two ways you can get a Toronto Cycling Handbook:
- Get the digital version for free
- Get a free hard copy sent to your home (by attending and completing a workshop)
The Toronto Cycling Handbook is available in 14 languages. The Family Edition is available in English.