Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently not offering any in-person workshops but can offer Safe Cycling 101 and Family Biking in webinar format.
Learn the rules. Learn your rights. Learn the skills to ride with confidence.
Interested in bringing a Street Smarts cycling workshop to your workplace or to the community? Please complete an online booking form:
What we offer
Cycle Toronto's interactive Street Smarts workshops cover the benefits of commuting by bicycle, laws that govern cyclists and motorists, techniques for safe street riding, basic bike maintenance, route selections, and more. We also provide copies of our Toronto Cyclists Handbook and bike maps where possible.
There are six workshop options which are between 45-60 minutes in length and tailored to each audience:
- Road Rules: learn about your rights and responsibilities when interacting with others on the road in this interactive quiz-style workshop. Topics include: laws and fines that apply to both cyclists and drivers, sharing space with pedestrians and other road users, common misconceptions about tuns, parking, passing, right of way & more.
- Safe Cycling 101: everything you need to know to bike with confidence in the city. Includes: equipment and bike fit, safe riding techniques, rules & responsibilities, choosing your route, & more
- School-aged children's version available upon request
- Family Biking: guides participants through things like biking while pregnant, biking with young kids and teaching children to ride on their own for the first time.
- Biking in All Weather Conditions: Make all-season cycling a breeze. Cycle Toronto will guide you through topics including: choosing clothing and gear for wet and cold weather, bicycle maintenance and storage tips, winter route-planning, and safe riding techniques for weather-related hazards. (offered in early spring, fall & winter only)
- Basic Bike Maintenance: Cycle Toronto will show you the basics of how to maintain your bike in this hands-on workshop. Topics include: safety checks, pumping your tires, tightening your brakes, lubing your chain, and ensuring your bike is the right fit.
- Advanced Bike Maintenance: includes fixing squeaky brakes, prevent your chain from falling off, correcting gear-shifting issues, and how to straighten your wheel (hands-on)
- Fixing a Flat Tire: includes fixing a flat tire using a patch kit by practicing on one of our demo bike wheels (hands-on)
Our trained facilitators have presented to both new cyclists and seasoned commuters. We do lunch'n'learns, evening presentations, and weekend sessions — including private workshops for businesses and government agencies, and public workshops at libraries and community centres for a discounted rate.
- “I feel more confident to ride in this city.”
- “LOVE THE HANDBOOK.”
- “Learned a lot! Great for new/wannabe daily cyclists.”
- “I actually didn't know a lot of this.”
- “Encouraged to cycle more.”
- “I never really considered riding during the winter. Now I might.”
- “Made me want to consider cycling to work.”
- “Feel more confident that I can ride on the road.”
- “Excellent session. All cyclists should have a chance to attend.”
- “[Made] the topic accessible to all ages & levels of experience.”
- “I learned more rules for a car driver perspective in regards to cyclists.”
- “Suggest drivers attend as well, there's a lot of information they could use.”