Learn the rules. Learn your rights. Learn the skills to ride with confidence.
Interested in bringing a Street Smarts cycling workshop to your workplace or to the community? Please complete an online booking form here. For a listing of upcoming public workshops, see our events calendar.
Cycle Toronto's interactive Street Smarts workshops cover the benefits of commuting by bicycle, laws that govern cyclists and motorists, techniques for safe street riding, basic bike maintenance, route selections, and more. We also provide copies of our Toronto Cyclists Handbook and bike maps where possible.
There are six workshop options which are between 45-60 minutes in length and tailored to each audience:
- Safe cycling 101: introductory rules & techniques - includes: road rules, safe riding techniques, equipment, choosing your route, & more
- Road Rules - includes: laws and fines that apply to both cyclists and drivers, sharing space with pedestrians and other road users, common misconceptions about tuns, parking, and right of way, and what to do in case of a collision, & more
- Biking in All Weather Conditions - includes: choosing clothing and gear for wet and cold weather, bicycle maintenance and storage tips, winter route-planning, safe riding techniques for weather hazards (offered in fall and winter)
- Basic Bike Maintenance - includes: safety checks, pumping your tires, tightening your brakes, lubing your chain, and ensuring your bike is the right fit (hands-on)
- Advanced Bike Maintenance - includes fixing squeaky brakes, prevent your chain from falling off, correcting gear-shifting issues, and how to straighten your wheel (hands-on)
- Fixing a Flat Tire - includes fixing a flat tire using a patch kit by practicing on one of our demo bike wheels (hands-on)
Our trained facilitators have presented to both new cyclists and seasoned commuters. We do lunch'n'learns, evening presentations, and weekend sessions — including private workshops for businesses and government agencies, and public workshops at libraries and community centres for a discounted rate.
- “I feel more confident to ride in this city.”
- “LOVE THE HANDBOOK.”
- “Learned a lot! Great for new/wannabe daily cyclists.”
- “I actually didn't know a lot of this.”
- “Encouraged to cycle more.”
- “I never really considered riding during the winter. Now I might.”
- “Made me want to consider cycling to work.”
- “Feel more confident that I can ride on the road.”
- “Excellent session. All cyclists should have a chance to attend.”
- “[Made] the topic accessible to all ages & levels of experience.”
- “I learned more rules for a car driver perspective in regards to cyclists.”
- “Suggest drivers attend as well, there's a lot of information they could use.”