Street Smarts is an education and outreach program for both new and seasoned bike commuters. The Get Lit! Program, which distributing over 1300 lights to commuter cyclists this year and our Cyclist Handbook help novice or hesitant cyclists overcome some initial barriers, familiarize themselves with cycling rules and techniques, learn basic maintenance skills, and become more comfortable riding a bike in Toronto.
Last year, with your support, we raised over $20,000 for Street Smarts outreach! With such success, we are ramping up this year's Street Smarts campaign with a goal to raise $30,000 to support our outreach.
With $30,000 from supporters like you, Cycle Toronto will focus on three key educational opportunities:
Cyclist Education: our popular Toronto Cyclist Handbook, currently offered in 17 languages, will be updated and revamped to include exciting new information pertinent to cyclists in our city.
Driver Education: we will work with community partners to launch a brand new ad campaign aimed at educating drivers on the importance of the revised 1m passing law to help keep all of us safer on the road.
- Community Outreach: we will create a new fund to empower our Ward Advocacy Program to enable local community groups across Toronto to put on their own educational & community building programming such as bike rodeos, festivals and sticker campaigns.
Help us raise $30,000 to fund Street Smarts 2016, and you'll receive a charitable tax receipt! Here are just some of the great ways your donation can help fund our work:
To make a donation, you have two options:
1) Donate online with payment by Interac, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express
• Go to CultureLink's Canada Helps page
• Click the "Donate Now" button
• Enter your "Donation Amount $"
• Under "Fund/Designation", select: "2. Cycling Program – Street Smarts Educational Activities"
• Click "Continue"
• Review your donation details, and click "Checkout"
• Continue following the checkout instructions
Note: Donations made online through Canada Helps generate a tax receipt immediately from Canada Helps.
2) Or donate by mail with payment by cheque or money order
• Make out a cheque or money order payable to "CultureLink Settlement Services" and include a note that it is for the "Cycling Program – Street Smarts Educational Activities".
• Ensure you include details of the individual to whom the tax receipt should be made out, including a mailing address.
• Mail your cheque or money order to:
CultureLink Settlement Services
2340 Dundas Street West, Suite 301
Toronto, ON M6P 4A9
photo by Maarten Heilbron
As summer turns to fall, diminished daylight hours put a renewed emphasis on cyclists having proper lights and reflective gear on their bicycles to help ensure their safety. With this in mind, we run our Get Lit campaign every October. Based on "Get Lit" from the Community Cycling Centre in Portland, we set up our orange tent in four different locations around the city and flag down unlit cyclists as they pass, educating them on the importance of bike lights and providing them with a free set for a safe ride home.
Why is this important?
Without a light, you become invisible at night. With lights and reflectors, you can be seen again. Ontario law requires that bicycles be equipped with a front white light and either a rear red reflector or a rear red light, from half an hour before sunset to half an hour after sunrise. Lights, reflectors, reflective tape, and bright clothing help drivers and pedestrians see cyclists at night.