Employment Opportunity: Communications & Education Manager
Cycle Toronto seeks a Communications & Education Manager to help in the growth and success of our organization.
Our ideal candidate is detail-oriented, creative, collaborative, entrepreneurial and a self-starter.
They should have a strong understanding of social marketing and experience working with or within not-for-profit organizations. They are a multitasker and a creative problem solver who is comfortable working under tight deadlines. Work experience developing vibrant communications materials and website management is important, with a desire to take on all stages of campaigns and projects from visioning through to implementation.
An optimal person for this role is someone with 2-3 years of professional experience in graphic design and communications, or a combination of work experience and a post-secondary degree in marketing, communications, or a related field. They excel in a creative work environment and have demonstrated proficiency using Adobe Design Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and HTML. Experience with Drupal and CiviCRM are strong assets.
The best candidate for us knows how to manage projects independently while working closely with a team. They should be empathetic and adept at engaging with a broad spectrum of personalities in an inclusive environment. They should have a background/interest in community/city building, politics, transportation, and grassroots advocacy. We’re looking for someone who can demonstrate professionalism in working with a variety of stakeholders of diverse interests and backgrounds.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Helps to increase brand recognition and maintain brand consistency for Cycle Toronto and our programs.
- Creates compelling graphic and web design materials for campaigns, programs, and events, ensuring engaging and accurate messaging
- Leads the strategy, production and distribution of new communications/promotional pieces (e.g.,graphics/print materials, promotional messaging, presentations, infographics, merchandise) for campaigns, programs and membership
- Works with web developers to provide regular updates to Cycle Toronto web applications
- Generates content for and maintains our website, database, Ring & Post e-newsletter, social media applications and online profiles
- Works with the Executive Director to develop media releases and Action Alerts related to priority advocacy campaigns
- Assists the Executive Director with public policy and government relations – representing Cycle Toronto at relevant meetings and consultations.
- Evaluates and maintains up-to-date records of media coverage, web analytics, events attended, and other items.
Lead our Street Smarts public and private workshops program:
- recruitment, staffing and training workshop presenters and mechanics
- develop and update workshop presentation content and materials
- scheduling workshops with businesses, community organizations and other partners
- Develops content for and manages other educational resources such as new Toronto Cyclists Handbook
- Works with communications agencies and partners to develop new driver education campaign
Fundraising and sponsorship development (15%):
- Develop major sponsorship sales plan for Cycle Toronto’s programs and services
- Produce presentation materials - slide decks, business membership guide
- Set up meetings with potential sponsors
- Create sponsorship packages and set value of Cycle Toronto’s assets (promotions, services)
- Work with Executive Director to develop business membership deliverables and liaise with partners to ensure their delivery: track and deliver online mailings, workshops, and social media promotions
- Work with Executive Director and Ward Advocacy Manager on reaching out to potential partners for the Member Discount Program, in-kind sponsorships
Cycle Toronto merchandise (5%):
- Develop artwork and promotional items for sale
- Develop targets, sales plan and marketing strategy merchandise sales
- Create partnerships with shops to sell Cycle Toronto merchandise and track sales
Terms of Employment:
Full time employment. 3 month probationary period. 40 hours per week starting in late January to early February 2016. $42,000 per year (pro rated), with competitive vacation and benefits package. Successful applicant must be a member of Cycle Toronto. Reports to Executive Director.
Please submit a letter of interest, a detailed resume, one writing sample and one design sample of your work in one package by 12pm (noon) on Friday January 8 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: Communications & Education Manager application.
Cycle Toronto values diversity and we are an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.